3 pounds fresh fish (whitefish, carp, and/or pike)
2 quarts water 2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 8 carrots, pared
4 medium onions, peeled and cut to fit feed tube
6 tablespoons ice water
4 tablespoons matzoh meal
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Have fish Filleted, reserving head, bones and skin.
2. In a large pot, place water, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 7 carrots, head, bones, and skin of fish.
3. Using sliding disc, slice 3 1/2 onions (cut remaining 1/2 onion in half and reserve). Add sliced onion to the pot, bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer while fish is being prepared.
4. Cut fish into 2 inch pieces. Using steel blade, process fish in 1 pound batches to paste-like consistency. Remove to a large bowl and repeat 2 more times with remaining fish. After all fish had been processed, thoroughly mix together by hand to blend fish together.
5. Using steel blade, process remaining carrot and 1/2 onion together until finely chopped. Remove half of this mixture from the bowl.
6. Add half of fish mixture to the bowl. To this add 1 egg, 3 tablespoons ice water, 2 tablespoons matzoh meal, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Process, using quick on/off motions, until thoroughly blended. Remove mixture from bowl and repeat procedure, using remaining ingredients.
7. Remove head, bones, and skin of fish from stock.
8. With wet hands, shape fish into shapes the size of a small baking potato and place in fish stock. Simmer slowly 2 hours.
9. Remove fish balls with slotted spoon and place on a lettuce-lined platter. Cook and chill. Cook fish stock and save for later use for storing leftover fish.
10. Garnish with pieced of cooled carrots left over from stock and serve with freshly made horseradish.
About 20 balls.
1/2 cup horseradish root, cut in 1 inch cubes
Using steel blade, process until finely chopped. Add a few drops of beet juice to get desired color. Step back from bowl before removing lid!